Childcare Near Work Vs Childcare Near Home
It’s a question most parents ask themselves when trying to decide on the location of a childcare centre, “Should I pick a childcare near me at work or childcare close to home?” The fact is, it very much comes down to your individual family situation, what works best for you and where you work. To help you make the decision, we’ve put together some pros and cons for each.
Childcare close to work
- You can collect your child quickly if they become unwell.
- You can drop in during your lunch break.
- You can spend more time talking with your kids in the car on the commute to and from childcare.
- You can spend more time with your kids due to later drop off and earlier pick up, particularly if you work in the city.
- It’s a better option if you start work early (a centre closer to home may not be open yet).
- It’s easier to be involved in activities, e.g. parent’s day.
- It’s great if you’re still breastfeeding. For example, if you work in Brisbane City, you can walk to Little Scholars George Street to breastfeed your child in comfort.
- It’s a long drive to take the kids to daycare if you have a sick day.
- It can be difficult if your child doesn’t like long car trips.
- It could be a long drive with a tired and hungry child at the end of the day.
- It can be harder to meet local parents.
- It may not be convenient for family members to help with collection.
- It lacks convenience if you’re at home with a baby.
- It could become difficult if you change work location.
Childcare close to home
- It’s easier to make friends with local parents. For example, live in Mount Cotton, attend childcare in Redland Bay and make friends with parents in the surrounding suburbs.
- It’s convenient if you’re at home with a baby.
- It offers flexibility if you decide to change jobs.
- Close to home is better if your child is tired and/or hungry at the end of the day.
- It’s great if you ever have a sick day and need to get back into bed as quickly as possible.
- Great if your child doesn’t like long drives.
- You get more quiet time in the car.
- It’s easier for other family members to pick up and drop off.
- Pick ups can be later compared to a centre being closer to work.
- Less time is spent with the kids.
- Earlier drop offs can be more difficult if you need to leave for work at 6am.
- It may be more difficult to attend childcare events due to the distance from work.
- It can be difficult if you are still breastfeeding.
- It can sometimes make for a very long day if you work long hours.
When considering the pros and cons and googling ‘childcare near me’, look at your current situation and potential future situation then consider all scenarios. Could a new job be on the horizon, a new baby or a sibling attending school? These are just a few things that will impact the decision you make on childcare location.