We know it can be hard to come up with easy, quick things to do with your children, so we thought we’d share a favourite of our little scholars. Learn how to make your own moon sand in minutes with a few of these kitchen staples!
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: None
- 8 tablespoons of flour or cornflour
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable, sunflower oil (to make it taste-safe) or baby oil
- Optional: Add a few drops of food colouring or glitter
- Place the flour in a bowl and gradually incorporate the oil and food colouring (if desired).
- Using your fingertips, blend the oil and colouring into the flour, as if you were making a pastry. Continue until the mixture resembles a sandy texture and no visible oil remains. If the mixture appears too dry, add a few more drops of oil. if it’s too soft, add additional flour. The ideal consistency is a dry, mouldable clay that crumbles relatively easily when squeezed.
- Pour moon sand into a suitable container to play with. You can always add your child’s favourite small toys or items found in nature, then watch his or her imagination run wild!